Welcome to The Textbook Advocates Home Page. The group, born in August of 2012, was all about the textbooks in, and coming into, our classrooms in America’s public schools. The reality of what we discovered reading the books motivated us to take a closer look at the system in general and, more specifically, the system newly introduced …under the radar, …hardly noticed at the time, …and almost 4 years later, not clearly understood; that system being Common Core State Standards Initiative: A universal set of standards, curriculum and *assessments to be adopted by all public schools with international benchmarks.
*PARCC – Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Career
In a nutshell:
- Achieve, Inc. wrote the standards. Formed in 1996, it is a Washington, D.C. group of corporate leaders and a few governors who want universal-across-states-standards-based education.
- The concept was endorsed by Bill Gates of Microsoft and UNESCO in 2004 when a contract was signed between them.
- In 2009, to put a populist face on the project, they enlisted National Governor’s Association, a non-elected, fraternal organization of some, not all, governors, and the Council of Chief State School Officers, a similar organization.
- Achieve was presided over by Michael Cohen who had gone from a career in the US Dept. of Education to leading Achieve, who wrote the CCSS, then to working for PARCC, the testing arm as its project manager, thus writing the standards, and then the tests which now will be directed and overseen by the US Dept. of Ed. he long worked for.
- The process abandoned a long-held tenet of openness and transparency, doing all of its preparation under cover. Only one K-12 educator was included in the validated result.
- Members of the validation team who were alarmed and would not sign the validation agreement were expunged from the records. No dissent was acknowledged.
- CCSSI has been implemented in 45 states since 2010 and is just now beginning to be tested under the PARCC. In the few states testing, it has been an unmitigated disaster.
- As material has made its way into parents hands and consciousness, a backlash has been building based on much of it being developmentally inappropriate, irrationally complex, pornographic, and ideologically one-sided.
- Please use the COMMON CORE TATTLER SUBMISSION tab above if you have an example of any such material. Share it with us for a forthcoming tabloid to be shared with all.
- Many states are initiating legislation to withdraw from Common Core, Indiana being the only state to have done so. To help the rest of us follow Indiana we are asking you to join your local group fighting for state sovereignty and freedom from global indoctrination of the hearts and minds of our children.